[Public-list] Painting Topsides was -- still agonizing over non slip

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Wed Jun 2 04:24:43 PDT 2004

I have had this agony in the past myself.
The solution:
Take great pains to prepare the topsides by sanding to 100 or 15 grit 220
is a little fine for your base coat.
ROLL & TIP (Spraying yourself will likely leave you with many "bullets"
and drips) If you find you really want to sty with the spraying ... do the
same thing you would have done for roll & tip between coats ...

wetsand after each coat... to 300 grit. Focus particular attention on the
first coat & be sure to hit all drips This wet sanding will get you
farther along with the really flat surface you need to get that perfect
finish.

All of the great roll & tip jobs I have seen have done this. It requires
more time and effort but the finished job is excellent.

With spraying ... which I have the tools for and have done... I find I
linger too much & seem to rush in other places. It requires a rather
steady & sober hand so bring beer if you must. :)

Also remember with spraying ... many coats not a few. Be sure to thin your
paint both for spraying and for roll & tip. It really makes a difference.
The thinner evaporates and your errors are hidden better since you have
less of a volume of paint to fix.

Finally, always step back a minimum of 10 feet to evaluate your job.
Noone can see your errors ffrom the 2 feet you are viewing it from. If you
have to be a perfectionist... then fine but otherwise, don't worry it'll
look great.

Good Luck.
--
C.B. Currier