[Public-list] Reverse

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Fri Jun 18 05:46:17 PDT 2004

Spelling Correction
Reverse should clunk in to place too - if not, the issue is that you need to
adjust the fork, which is on a treaded rod, where it connects to the trans
shift lever. It sounds like you currently have insufficient throw in the
linkage
set-up. It should clunk going into forward & reverse.

I will be at the American's weekend in Toronto at Mimico Cruising Club - if
you come we could have a look at it.

Cheers,

John

> Reverse should clunk in to place too - if not, the issue is that you need
> adjust the fork, which is on a treaded rod, where it connects to the trans
> shift lever. It should like you currently have in sufficient throw in the
> set-up. It should clunk going into forward & reverse.
>
> I will be at the American's weekend in Toronto at Mimico Cruising Club -
if
> you come we could have a look at it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John

With
> > my previous boat we used to do very well regularly but it seems to have
> > taken us years to get this boat cranked up.  The last three times out we
> > earned a first and two seconds - and that in a mixed fleet of much
lighter
> > boats. Last Wed we heard that music loved by all racers of old
> > boats...comments like "you must have a terrific muffler on that engine"
> and
> > "lets have the committee look at your rating".
> >
> > We still can't point like I wish we could but that may just be the
nature
> of
> > the beast. Once I forgot about trying to go to weather like the old boat
> > used to (wooden Folkboat) we concentrated on being clever tactically and
> > keeping boat speed up.  We also make sure that we get the 'Chute up the
> > instant we round marks rather than wait for the rounding to start
setting
> > up.  It stays up until the instant we round the leeward mark. That is a
> > small but obvious thing that makes a difference.
> >
> >  What I did really differently this year was pay a lot of attention to
> > standing rigging  set up - it really made a difference.
> >
> > We usually have 12 -14 boats on a starting line; a few Kirby 25's
> (somewhat
> > like J25's to you Yanks) a couple of Tanzers, a flock of 80's racer
> > cruisers, one CS 36, and a growing riff raff of one-design Sharks.  The
> > later are the only ones we owe time to but the little buggers are fast.
We