[Public-list] cutless bearing

J Bergquist j at ship.saic.com
Fri Jun 25 10:39:32 PDT 2004

Jim-

I did this as one of the first jobs after buying my boat.

I replaced the hose with stuffing box hose I bought at Viking marine in
Annapolis. It is really thick stuff, much thicker than radiator hose.

I also found that my stuffing box was not the same diameter as the stern
tube. This precipitated something of a crisis which I solved by making a
fiberglass tape addition to the stern tube which came out perfectly. It
was exactly the right size for my hose. So you might just check that.

Also, replacing the hose was made extremely difficult because the old
hose outboard (stern tube) end was bedded in a titanic amount of
polysulfide, which I had to dig out with blunt tools and a lot of sweat.
I spent about 12 hours total digging that stuff out to find the end of
the hose. In the end, there were no hose clamps on it. It was kind of
freaky. But I felt much better having real stuffing box hose and 2 sets
of 2 clamps on it.

Good luck with your project!

J Bergquist
Calliope #287