[Public-list] Re: Table Top

CAPTDAVE40 at aol.com CAPTDAVE40 at aol.com
Tue Jun 29 13:43:48 PDT 2004

As "Super Dave" would say on his TV show (before it was canceled):
"Don't try this at home"
Out of necessity when cruising away from civilization, and Napa.

Best to measure your diameters yourself. Few are virgin.
Cut the correct length of wire-enforced radiator hose to the measured length
of the existing connection. This hose is the I.D. of the largest end of the
stern-gland it must connect.
 Next, cut a one and a quarter inch piece of hydriodic hose that is the
diameter of the smallest end to connect.
  Heat the 1-1/4 inch length of hydriodic hose in a pan of boiling water to
slacken any inherited curve in the hose. Wrapped in a rage slide it over the
small end of the stern tube connection, just to make sure it will slip on--but
fits snug. Then remove
(My situation was that there was enough difference in size to allow the small
hydriodic hose to just slide inside the larger hose, however, I did have to
keep this in mind when selecting the smaller length of O.D. hose.

Smear a small amount of contact cement inside the larger hose and quickly
slide the smaller O.D. inside until it is flush with the larger hose end.

Make sure both ends of the stern tube coupling is clean and grease free. (I
smear a ring of contact around the hose before sliding them in place.)

Slide the drive shaft back and slide the new Stern-Tube-Coupler onto the aft
protruding shaft-gland. Slide the shaft forward and couple forward end. Fore
and aft are fitted with two SS Jubilee clamps each. Wait an hour then relighted
and wrap with plastic tape. My last " Stern-gland fix is 8 years old, going.

This works for me in third world cruising areas. Again, travel at you own
risk. Nuff said.

Best Regards, Dave
S/Y Coober Pedy #306
Spice Island Marine