[Public-list] Mast support beam

Peter Amos p.a.amos at tesco.net
Mon May 3 09:22:30 PDT 2004

The object of the exercise is to have more of the  downward force  transmitted through the  beam and less through the cabin top core.Could another option be to increase the fore and aft thickness of the beam by bolting a piece to the aft side?
As a cruiser maximum performance is not a priority.I  prefer the boat to be sailing comfortably not stressed for maximum speed so I am not too concerned about performance gain although if there is some well and good.
Shroud tension is a bit tricky.Too tight and the pressure on the mast and hull is as pointed out a recipe for disaster.Too slack has its own problems.  A floppy leeward shroud will be subjected to a  sudden massive change of tension on a fast tack in heavy weather and the  shock loading in those conditions has been known to break the shroud.
Peter Amos