[Public-list] RE: Rigging tuning

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Tue May 4 04:51:45 PDT 2004

Gavin,

Here's my method - others may have lots of alternatives. Push the mast base
all the way forward. Adjust the upper shrouds so that the mast head is is
directly over the base and there is uniform tension on the shrouds. Here is
a chart showing shroud tensions that I took from 20+ boats using a Loos
tension guage:
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/A30tensions.txt.
Once the head is directly over the base and and the mast is straight (sight
up the main track), the start tensioning the lowers. The forward lowers
should be the taughtest shrouds on the boat and should pull the mast forward
slightly at the spreaders. The aft lowers are tighten to remove slack, but
should be the most un-taughtest (is that a word?) shrouds on board. Final
adjustments should be made under sail to, among other things, adjust the
amount of headstay sag.

Hope this helps.

Mike Lehman
"Gilleleje" #505