[Public-list] fuel tank in engine compartment

Peter Hay phay at netcom.ca
Wed May 5 11:34:38 PDT 2004

  Roger:  I have a 12 gallon aluminum tank that fits under the cockpit just
ahead of the Edson steering pullies and above and behind the waterlift
muffler.  It is supported on a rectangular grid of angle iron (steel).  The
front cross member of the grid is anchored in the fiberglass.  A 1/2" of
plywood covers the grid and the tank is fastened to it with 3 3/16" bolts on
each side and 3 in the front (bolts thru the ply and the angle iron).   This
tank was installed when the replacement diesel was put in.  How they managed
to get it in there is anybody's guess.  I have taken the tank out and put it
back in with some stretching.  Incidentally platform is angled down toward
the engine.  The tank is 11" high in the front and about 7" in the back.
All access is through the access plate near the front of the cockpit sole.
Tank top is about 3" below sole.

  Peter Hay
  Rubicon #384