[Public-list] Hull deformity

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 19:55:59 PDT 2004

Peter -

I too had this problem. I is a the forward lower shrouds. I have seen all
'newer' vintage Albergs with this same problem in varying degrees. It is not
really a problem however because the deformation goes to a certain amount
and then does not become any more severe. I chose, none-the-less to correct
this deformity on my boat. I did so by forcing the hull back out with a jack
and 2x4's mounted horizontally to push the hull deflections back to the
original line. Then I fiber glassed in the shelves in the shelves in the
forward cabin so they become secondary structural members of the hull. As
they are, pop-riveted in place they do not any strength to the hull, but
glassed in they do. When I removed the horizontal jack and re-tensioned the
hull the dimples were gone. A fair amount of work, that I question whether
is necessary or not.