[Public-list] Shaft zinc

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Sat May 15 05:24:17 PDT 2004

  As I know it, That is a very hard to find Zinc. I think it's a CAMP P-1
(number varies with shaft size - 1 was for 7/8" shaft with 5/8 thread). I
fit one of these to my shaft when I replaced it. The prop shop that made the
shaft for me happened to have one on display and I realised it solved the
zinc location problem. The one they had was the wrong size, but they were
able to order the right one within a week or so (had to wait for minimum
order for the shop to be filled).
  In any case, that isn't a nut. It is actually a washer with the zinc built
up. There are two nuts on the prop shaft. Remove the outer nut, leaving the
inner nut (against the prop) in place. Then this zinc washer assy goes on
and covers the inner nut within a hex shaped recess in the zinc. Then the
outer nut goes on and tightens within a circular recess in the zinc. The
outer nut is usually castleated and pinned.
  This zinc assy only moves the original pinned outer nut aft by about 1/8"
or so (the thickness of a washer). The current owner of my ex#497 had one of
these on for about 18 months in the water at a mooring. It was about 1/2
worn away. He couldn't locate a new one, so he went back in the water a few
weeks ago with the same one in place.
Regards,
Brian   ex#497

> I need to know the thread and nut diameter of the propeller zinc shown in
the A30 maintenance site under "disorganized/mispics/119jpg".With this
information and the picture I may be able to get one in the U.K. from an
anode manufacturer in Canterbury.I want to renew this zinc before Tait Tait
goes back in the water in November.It is unavailable in the Abacos.