[Public-list] Buying an Alberg

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Mon Nov 1 05:21:39 PST 2004

Jon,

> 1. How large a crew can the 30 hold comfortably?  I doubt I will ever have
> the entire family, but can it sail well with 7 people?

I have raced many races this past season with 5 - 7 people on the boat.
There is not enough room in the cockpit to hold all 7 at once but 5 is
nice.
If you will be racing with 7, in big air you have the perfect number.In
light air you may be heavy but never too.

Remember some of the guys on this list race but dont necessarily get 7 on
the boat regularly, right TC. Just a little fun jab, The fact is you have
berths, I believe for 6, 2 in the v berth, 2 amidships, and 2 in the
cockpit. So 7 means that 1 sleeps on the foredeck(one of my favorite
palces to sleep).

> 2. The boat I'm interested in has some cracks at the mast step.  The owner
> has an aluminum plate that repairs this - not yet installed.  Is this a
> common problem?

Mast beam repair is a no brainer. Yes it is so common you can almost bank
on it with the early boats.

> 3. The boat has a Gray Marine Gas engine with 1100 hours on it.  Most of
> the
> boats I have seen use the Atomic 4.  Is the Gray a decent engine?
The gray is right up there with the A4. I one boat originally had a Gray
and was repowered for an A4. I have recently rebuilt & find it to be
wonderful.
There is still a good size community of Gray owners on the web that can
offer help parts & resources. Also here in annapolis is a good arear for
marine engines.

> 4. I plan to fly to Chicago next week to inspect the boat.  Any advice on
> what to look for?

Get a survey!
Things like through hull fittings, blisters, teak rot, mast electrolysis,
running & standing rigging are all factors not to be ignored. Also the
status of the motor can really throw you for a doozey. If it fails in hte
first year you might have a minor or a major project on your hands.

> 5. The boat may have a few things that need to be completed - rigging
> possibly.  Any advice on who works on Alberg 30's in the Annapolis area?

Most albergers will tell you "YOU" will work on the boat. There are good
rigging shops and riggers around. But for example, the class owns an A
frame that you might borrow to take your mast down. THen go to bacons or
fawcetts to have new standing rigging made and reattach. Much cheaper than
paying a yard to drop the mast & you will be suprised, if you ask, how
many albergers might lend a hand.

Good Luck & keep us posted. Make a list and Besure to come back with that
list to us.

--
C.B. Currier Next Years Racing Commodore - A30 Annapolis
Infinity #57