[Public-list] Leaky Deck joints

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Fri Nov 12 19:57:50 PST 2004

Hey,
Stargazer had some deck leaks along the toe rail. She has the vertical
toerail. We had to keep anything in the lockers in waterproof plastic bags. Last
season I put a narrow bead of 3M 4200 in the inboard seam between the toe rail
and deck, and that stopped all the rain leaks. She still leaks when we sail
and  heel over, so I have to do the outboard seam, as Mike describes below.
I'll do  that this spring, before we paint the topsides.

To caulk the inboard seam, first I cleaned the area where the caulk was to
go of any old caulk that was protruding out, then gave it a quick rub down with
 220 grit paper, and then a wipe with turpentine on a rag. Then I masked,
putting  one piece 1/8 inch inboard from the rail on the deck, and another 1/8"
above the  seam on the toerail. A narrow bead from the caulking gun, filleted
to shape with  a gloved finger, and that was that.

Hope this helps,
Lee
Stargazer #255

In a message dated 11/12/2004 2:52:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,