[Public-list] Fuel filter

Todd Redhead todd.redhead at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 22 14:33:45 PST 2004

Bill,

I would look for an electrical problem b/4 a fuel filter problem.  It sounds
like a coil is beginning to break down when hot or else an electrical
connection is separating when hot.  I would start by trying to get the
problem to appear again.  Let it run till good and hot and if that does not
do it, start moving wires and connections around (keep your fingers, etc out
of the alternator!).

If the problem is still there - then you need to start to diagnose.  I would
start by pulling the main ignition coil wire off of the distributor and
using a screw driver in the end hold it about a 1/4" from the engine block -
then turn the engine over.  (Keep your fingers, etc out of the alternator
area and use an insulated screwdriver or it will be a shocking experience!)

Spark Weak or Intermittent:
If that spark is weak or intermittent then you have narrowed the problem
down to either the coil or the low voltage side of the ignition system.  I
would then start by replacing the points and condenser as well as checking
all wire connections to the low voltage part of the coil.  (Those are the 2
small studs on the top of the coil.)  Check your spark again - if clean and
sharp - then problem solved - if not - replace the coil.

Spark Strong and Sharp:
If the spark from the main ignition coil wire is sharp and bright - then the
problem is in the high voltage part of the distribution system.  Check you
distributor cap for cracks and for corrosion build-up on the 4 stubs inside.
You can clean the corrosion off the see if that fixes the problem but you
should probably replace the cap if you find either of these problems.  Check
your rotor for play, corrosion on either the top contact or the end contact.
Again, you can clean the corrosion off to test if the problem is fixed but
you should replace the rotor if you find any problem with it.

If you still have not located the problem, then the next items to check is
the wires.  You can check each one the same way you checked your ignition
coil wire - screwdriver in the end and close to the engine block to check
for spark.  Again the spark should be bright and sharp.  If not, then you
can check the individual wires with an ohm meter - you should have no
resistance through them - any resistance indicates a wire that is breaking
down - or just replace all the wires.

If it is still not running correctly - you will need to pull and check the
spark plugs.  Heavy oil burning will build up a layer of black tar on the
plug contacts that when thick enough will stop the spark from jumping the
gap.  If you find this, clean the crap off the plugs and test.  You will
likely be needing an engine rebuild to stop this from occurring again.

At this point you have checked your ignition system - if still running
rough - let us know.

BTW:  To see if you do have water in the fuel filter, unscrew the canister
and drop it down keeping it level - it will be full of fuel.  Any water
should appear on the surface of the fuel as bubbles.  The water will be
fairly obvious especially going by the length of time that your engine was
having its problem.

Good luck,

Todd
Alberg 30 #400