[Public-list] Boat Cover Frame Suggestions

Jack Vanderloo jvdloo at sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 24 11:57:03 PST 2004

Ahoy Bob,

Here's a simple solution that I have use for 13 years in an area of both
heavy snow and winds, using the mast as ridge pole.  This arrangement
has allowed me to use the same heavy duty 20' x 36' silver/black tarp
all that time and has provided unimpeded access to the
cokpit/companionway hatch. Stanchions are removed and the steep angle
Gord mentioned falls naturally.

    * Four 2"x4"x8's
    * Two 4" x 5/16" bolts, locking nuts and 4 washers
    * A couple of heavy-duty eye bolts
    * 35-40' of plastic covered clothesline
    * 12 or more small bulldog clips and/or aluminum swages
    * Up to 6 cheap open-hook galvanized 1/4" or 5/16" turn buckles
    * Electrician's tape
    * May need a cople of cheap galvanized shackles to fit odd securing
      points
    * Everything is "Canadian Tire" grade

    * Lay two sets of two 2x4s on top of each other and drill a 5/16"
      hole abaout 12" from one end.
    * Insert & secure bolts, washers & nuts.
    * Spead "legs" apart and screw in two eye bolts on the inside face
      of one of the longer legs.
    * These "legs" will form the crotches fore and aft.
    * Place one set of the legs just forward of where your pulpit
      fitting meets the deck.
    * Place the other set of the legs just aft of where your pushpit
      fitting meets the deck.
    * Trim the opened legs so that their feet are parallel to the deck,
      making sure that you realize they will not be the same length for
      both bow and stern.  The stern "legs" will be longer.
    * Measure, cut, lay out and set in place loosely, three sets of guy
      lines and turn buckles from the eyebolts to:
          o For the for'ard legs: to the stem fitting and two stanchion
            bases
          o For the aft legs: to the aft chain plate and (in my case)
            two cleats on the aft winch bases
    * Adjust so legs are vertical and secure the bull clips or swages
    * Tighten turn buckles and lash or lock threads with galvanized nuts
    * Trim the "Y"s vertically so the won't tear the tarp
    * Shield other mast protrusions with pieces of carpeting
    * Stand a piece of 2x4 on the mast step to the now-horizontal mast.
    * Make sure you have straps or brass/plastic grommets every 3' or so
      along the 36' edges of the tarp and lash everything down to the
      cradle.
    * At the bow, I placed three sets of two grommets in opposite sides
      of the tarp following the spoon bow shape
    * I roll the excess tarp into a long cylinder and lash with reef knots
    * Aft, I ran matching sets of grommets down the 20' edge of the tarp
      and lashed away accordingly.

Actually, for closing up the stern, I use a technique, the name of
which escapes me at the moment (Gord?!?), where you run a series of
reef-knotted loops from the grommets along one edge of the tarp from
mast to the tarp corner.  The loops are just long enough to reach
through the matching opposite grommet to the next lower grommet, at
which point you pick up the next loop down, bring it across and repeat
the process all the way down.  Lash the closed corners back to the
rudder, picking up grommets/straps under the counter as you go along.
Sounds complicated but ain't.  Undo one knot at the bottom and the whole
tarp pulls apart smartly right up to the mast.

I plan to do this again next year with a new tarp.

Hope this helps.

Jack Vanderloo
Aldabi KC641