[Public-list] alberg30 for sale....Whitby

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 27 14:40:22 PST 2004

"most buyers would take a missing engine as some clue as to the overall
condition of most boat systems..... right or wrong"

I have to disagree with this statement. The boat itself may be perfectly
maintained, but the engine has failed and therefore removed. After all these
boat are 30-40 years old...how many cars are still running with the same
engine ater this amount of time. Many enignes have been maintained by
marginal mechanics and aren't worth much. Also, there are other reasons for
removing the engine, although rare. I cite the example of Yves Gelinas who
removed the engine from a perfect boat because he embarked on a solo
circumnavigation. As Yves says, "when you are about to travel 28,000 miles,
16 gallons of petrol is not going to get you very far".

I would prefer to purchase a boat without and engine, because it is the
single most expensive piece of gear on board. A present cost of 7,000 ~
10,000 for a new engine, the boat would need to be in top condition to
demand a price close to $10k.

my $ 0.02 worth

Mike Lehman