[Public-list] alberg30 for sale....Whitby

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Sun Nov 28 03:39:31 PST 2004

I picked up # 458 for less than $5,000.

With that purchase I have learned much. It is the 2nd of 2 A30's I
currently own. It has not been used since I moved it from Baltimore & I
have many projects to preform on it.However in the time I have been a
member I have made a few observations regarding A30s .
1. An a30 can be handled without a motor in almost any situation(I've done
it) It can be sailed, sculled, pushed & towed.
2. The cheapest motor to put in an A30 is probably up for debate but the
lack of  a motor devaules the boat approximately by the value of acquiring
an Atomic 4 & installing.($2,500 to $10,000 depending on if you do the
rebuild of a free block or buy a new one and have it put in.)
3. the Value is at a base of lets say $5,000 if the deck & hull are
intact, no hollow cores and there is a mast & boom. (Also up for debate, I
bought 458 less than that with nothing in it but 30 year old sails, no
motor, no deck, nothing no running rigging, barely standing rigging)

4. from there the value climbs depending on add ons:
   - $2,500 for new sails (cheap)
   - $2,000 + for good insturmentation
   - $3,000 + for quality of accomodations(cabin cushions etc.)
   - $5,000 + for good (hours & maintenence documented) Motor
   - $3-5,000 for accessories (anchors & rhodes) safety equipment (+
condition)

5. This is assuming that you are remembering that the A30 is 30+ year old
boat, built like a brick sh!# house but requiring maintenance like
stuffing boxes in the prop shaft & tiller, good heads & good wiring are
also important.

BTW: A good surveyor can tell you most of whats wrong with a boat so
definitely pay for one, A if you are selling & unsure of the value, b if
you are buying & don't want to loose out toobad.

I think most of us that own these boats realize that they are not as bad
as my father had when he owned a wooden boat(a hole in the water into
which you pour money) but still requires constant time & money to
maintain.

--
C.B. Currier
Infinity #57