[Public-list] Water weeping from keel

John Irving jirving at roundthecorner.com
Fri Oct 8 06:26:19 PDT 2004

Greetings,

I have a 1967 A30 under contract pending survey.

They surveyor noticed a small area of water seepage at the leading edge of
the keel. He felt the seepage was minor, and there did not appear to be any
cracks in the laminate.

The boat has been out of the water for about a year. On the day of the
survey, the bilge was full of water and that water appeared to be rainwater
that found its way in through vents and cockpit lockers. The source of the
water weeping from the keel is unknown.

The fiberglass tabbing that covers ballast in the keel appears to have
delaminated and been repaired at some time and the quality of the repair is
poor and doesn't seem watertight. The rainwater was covering the entire keel
and was nearly up to the floorboards.

Has anyone on the list experienced water seepage from the keel of their A30?
Is this something to be concerned about?

My primary concerns are freezing and splitting of the keel in winter, and
swelling of the cast iron keel. Is there anything else I should be concerned
with?

In all other respects the boat is sound. All assistance is much appreciated!

Thank you.