[Public-list] The Chesapeake Area Alberg 30 Family

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 13 11:08:04 PDT 2004

Hello,
I have just returned from a 10 day trip to visit the Chesapeake and meet with Alberg 30 owners.
My Father taught me that boaters help other boaters.  I found this to be particularly true of sailors.  The Chesapeake Bay Alberg 30 Association takes this concept well beyond the known universe.
My first thank you must go to Charles and Ginny Grosh who literally 'put me up' for my entire stay in Annapolis.  I can easily count on one hand the number of people that I have met who are so gracious.
The first Sunday I visited Bill Blevins who was kind enough to show me his boat and go out for a sail.  Bill has done some very effective upgrades to his boat using reasonably priced Gaurhauer equipment.  He has gone a long way to making his Alberg a single handed dream.
Monday evening I met with Mike Lehman.  What can I say, Mike is the ultimate Alberg 30 enthusiast.  After a complete tour of his Alberg and it's innovative systems, I asked the silliest questions; "Mike, ever desire a newer boat, a bigger boat, a faster boat?", "nope, nope and nope" in that order came the response. Mike made me a 'new' builders plate and lent me the mast beam templates and reviewed the mast gin pole/A frame system and how to unstep and restep the Alberg 30 mast.
Tuesday evening I paddled over and met with Gail and George Dinwiddie.  When I first became aware of the Alberg 30 Web site I thought that 'Dinwiddie' was chosen as an Internet handle.  I thought of such figures as 'Rumpelstiltskin' and others........  Any class organization should be so fortunate as to have as thorough, informative and extensive a Web site as the Alberg 30 org. Thanks be to George and Gail.
Friday brought the Boaters Accessory Mart Consignment Show and of course the U.S. Sailboat Show.  It is always inspirational to hear Gary Jobson speak.  I was also able to arrange for a 'test sail' on the Sparkman and Stephens designed Morris 36 that evening. When will I ever get a ride on such a brand new 'interesting' boat?  She was lovely and had a very pleasant motion.
Saturday I was to crew in the second of the two Good Old Boat Regattas.  The first was aboard a Seafarer the week before.  I have to thank Melissa and C.B. Currier for the opportunity to race aboard an Alberg 30 for the first time.  Whatever your PHRF rating it is always enjoyable to race against other boats in your class. 'Infinity' lost to 'Argo' by about 30 seconds.  It is not over until it's over.
Saturday evening attending the Fall Rendezvous Party was certainly a highlight of my Alberg 30 Family experience.  I soon became an 'official' member of the association, and purchased a t-shirt and Alberg 30 Maintenance Manual. I met with Rolph Townshend and quickly discovered that it is no mystery why he does so well on the racecourse. I thank Philip Beigel for his sage advice on the ins and outs of older Alberg's and tips for upgrades, maintenance.
As wonderful as the boat is, The Chesapeake Bay Alberg 30 Association is fantastic.  It is truly unbelievable that such a group has maintained itself for 40 years. The Association and the boat are tribute to one another.  A bond exists between the two which is unique in today's world.  Thank you all for the warmest of welcomes into your family.

Michael Connolly
A #133 Lorrie Rose