[Public-list] #306 Found on Grenada - Alberg 30 mast length

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 15 09:43:14 PDT 2004

Tom,
5-3/8" difference between Alberg 30 masts is way too much for a boat that is supposed to be considered a one-design by the builder/designer.   If the butt of the mast were corroded I wouldn't guess that more than 2" at most would have to be removed.  Dan Walker has # 145 with the mast down so he can measure as well.

I am involved with a dinghy class association. The boat has had six builders over 34 years and four mast lengths and at least three mast extrusions.  In my book, this is BS for one-design.  We are in the process of trying to sort out all the changes over the years to approximate a level playing field on the racecourse.

Alberg 30's on the other hand, had one builder for their entire production history of 20 years.  Not nearly the opportunity for such discrepancy in the final product.

Does anyone else on the list have input /comments?

Michael

Tom Sutherland <sutherlandt at prodigy.net> wrote:
Thanks Michael!

Don't go to any trouble but it would be of interest to me. I can't
believe there would be more than a fraction of an inch difference
between these mast extrusions.

I have heard of masts that were cut off at the bottom if there had been
considerable corrosion at the base. that could possibly explain the
reported difference.

Tom S
A-30 #412