[Public-list] Anyone looking for a project?

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sat Oct 16 17:41:54 PDT 2004

Hello my Alberg 30 Friends,

Looking through the local paper I saw an ad for an Alberg 30, priced 3200
bucks. Rona and I had to go see it.

1968 hull # 306 had some back luck 15 years ago. She was docked next to a
motor boat that caught fire. 306 had significant damage to her cabin trunk and
cabin interior. The deck and topsides on the port side were blistered from the
 heat. But she had a new Westerbeke diesel installed just three months
before, so  her current owner, a marine surveyer, bought her from the insurance
company.

He began to reconstruct the cabin trunk. From what I saw yesterday, it was  a
good effort. But he stopped before he did the finishing work, cut out for the
 doghouse ports or the main companion in the way of the cabin top, or
re-installed the forward ports, and the boat has sat open like this for the past  10
years. There is a garden growing in the cockpit. The port toe rail is off, as
 are both cockpit coamings. The for-hatch is in place, but coming apart at
the  seams; same for the aft-hatch. The cockpit locker hatch covers are
weathered, but have very minor delamination of the seams, and are still  salvageable.

The drain plug was out, so she did not fill with water, but the interior of
the boat is shot, from fire and smoke damage, and exposure all these years.
The  engine does not appear to have been in direct contact with rain or snow,
but it  has alot of superficial rust. I don't know how the alternator or
starter, etc,  could not have been affected.

The owner says he has all the boat's gear, but they were at a different
location, and I didn't go to see them.

No doubt she looks pretty sad right now. Like finding an Opera Diva  after a
tragic amnesiatic car accident in a homeless shelter. But even  with moldy,
mildewed, generic wrecks to either side, weeds below, tree  branches hanging
just above, still her classic Alberg lines are undiminished.  The guy is asking
3200, but I got the distinct impression he is tired of having  her sitting
around, and would be glad to see her go at any price. He  'threatened' that he was
going to pull the engine out to sell, and bulldoze the  hull.

For someone who wants an Alberg 30 with a Westerbeke, both needing a lot of
work, but both high on the potential list, this is worth a look. I hate to see
 her lost. Pass the word around amongst your wharf-rat friends.............

The boat is in Seekonk, Mass, which is about an hour Southwest of Boston  and
a half hour or so North from Newport, RI. Seller's cell # is  774-991-1636

Lee and Rona Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255