[Public-list] Roller furling sails

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Fri Oct 1 04:14:16 PDT 2004

I sail Lake Ontario and do non stops from Hamilton to 1000 Islands - 160nm
ish. I had a 162 % Genoa made for roller furling on my Schaefer Furler. It
is a tri radial Dacron. I had the sail optimized to perform as a #1, that
means no foam luffs or any of that stuff, I have UV Dacron protection rather
than Sunbrella - Dacron actually contributes to the strength of the leach
and is less heavy than Sunbrella.

We sail in light air as well as the heavier stuff if we can - hence a 162 %

It works great, we win or do well in races with the sail when we race
occasionally and cruise it extensively. The sail was made at Triton Sails in
Mississauga Ont.

My experience anyway.

Hope this is a help.

Cheers,