[Public-list] Wind and sails on the A30

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 18 10:19:24 PDT 2004

Hello,
My experience in both racing and cruising large and small boats is that too much sail up in high winds is slower and worse, places more/unnecessary pressure on the rig.  It is a balance thing.  I am usually looking for a neutral helm, modest heel and a straight track, i.e., control. Sails are adjusted/reduced to achieve these three.  As helmsman you will know when the boat is in balance.................all is quiet and sweet.......smoooooooth.

Once achieved, a balanced boat will be much happier and provide more comfort for her skipper and crew.  While sailing I have found that sail trim and point of sail adjusted for greater boat speed is also the most comfortable for boat and crew. Pinch up when needed to reduce pressure.

Instead of pounding into seas with too much sail and trimmed for beating. (There is a reason it is called beating). Try reducing sail, fall off a bit, ease trim and reduce heel.  You will find that you will get to the windward mark or home sooner and with less fatigue.

The boat will also thank you with fewer repair bills.

Michael Connolly

FINNUS505 at aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 10/18/2004 9:26:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,