[Public-list] Roller furling - or hanked on?

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Oct 18 17:53:21 PDT 2004

John Kennedy wrote:
> I wondered if anyone has tried downhals on hanked-on jibs and can compare
> them to the ease of dousing the jib with furling gear (until it gets stiff
> or breaks, that is. . . . )

I use a downhaul when conditions might be rough or I'll be going into
some place crowded while shorthanded.  It's a piece of cake.  I just tie
a line to the top hank (not to the head, as that will twist the hank and
cause it to jam).  The line leads down to a block at the stem and then
back to the cockpit.  To douse, just pull the sheet tight, release the
halyard and haul away on the downhaul.  When possible, I like to back
the jib first, so it falls on deck behind the lifeline.  In any event,
the sail is contained and doesn't fall overboard.

Of course you still have to go foward eventually and fold up the sail.
That's a point for the roller furling.

And if you want a different size sail, you have to carry it forward and
hank it on.  Of course, with roller furling you have the option of doing
the same or of accepting a degraded sail shape by reefing on the
forestay.  If you change the furling sail, it'll be flying loose in the
wind as soon as it drops out of the slot.  I'll call this point a draw.

If you want simplicity and the best possible light air performance, then
hank-on is a definite winner.  The roller is another machine to
maintain, another thing to break--an expensive one.  And I've noticed
from watching the fleet that the roller sail gives up it's drive before
the hank-ons.  I'll score this point to the hank-on with downhaul.

So, it looks like a tie.  Your choice.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.