[Public-list] shaft bearing removal

sousa, stephen (ENG) sousa_stephen at emc.com
Fri Oct 22 09:41:23 PDT 2004

Lee,

The threaded rod will be installed in the stern tube exiting in side of the
boat and  at the cutlass bearing. I have 1/4 plates that are placed over the
tube and cutlass. Put the bearing in the freezer for a few hours, put some
lube on the cutlass bearing surface and draw the bearing into the casting.
The bearing is longer than needed and will have to cut when installation is
completed.

As Mike mentioned the holes for water to enter the bearing should be done
before this procedure. The other option is remove the casting and have the
bearing pressed in by a machine shop, my local guy generally charges $10-$20
to put something in his press.

Yes, it is a horrible job. For Rogers benefit, prior to removing the casting
have someone in the boat hold the stern tube with a pipe wrench otherwise in
most cases you will be resealing the tube. The tube we installed the last
time was made approx. 3 inches longer than the Whitby installation. This
provides something I can place a pipe wrench on to hold in place and also
makes the PYI Dripless stuffing box easier to install.

Stephen