[Public-list] shaft bearing removal

sousa, stephen (ENG) sousa_stephen at emc.com
Fri Oct 22 16:22:14 PDT 2004

Lee,

I install a socket a little smaller than the shaft and install the bolts
then install the transmission coupling, this acts as a press to remove the
shaft.  This will push the shaft out of the coupling. I have been using Rust
Buster on rusted nuts/bolts and very impressed with its performance, give
the shaft a few shots for about 3 days.  This product is available at Auto
Zone.

I replaced the standard coupling with a split coupling which has set screws
and also tightens
around the shaft. The reason for this coupling is ease of removal and the
Yanmar likes to dance at idle which caused the locking key to bounce out of
the shaft when getting ready to go a bridge. Also we always put a little
Never Seize on the shaft and bolts to the flange.

Stephen