[Public-list] Flexible shaft coupling

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 24 06:10:25 PDT 2004

Lee,

I bought one from Vetus http://vetus.com/. There online catalog is not much
help, but I an using their Bullflex coupling and it works great. It is
metric so it means taking you shaft to a machine shop and having turned so
it will fit in the coupling. It permits for a 2% misalignment up to 3000
RPM. Since our shaft RPM is around 1500 (Atomic 4 1:1 or diesel ~ 2:1), it
is well within the range of operation. Even with this device, I have the
engine aligned within the .004 tolerances as recommended by the engine
manufacturer. Remember that this measurement is taken with the engine off
and no load. With a diesel replacement engine, the engine is mounted on flex
mounts. Because of these mounts, when the engine is started and and placed
under load [forward or reverse] the engine moves and the angle between the
engine and the shaft changes. It is for that very reason that I think it is
essential to have a flex coupling if the engine [any engine] is mounted on
flexible mounts.

Mike Lehman