[Public-list] A4 blues...

Richard Mair r.mair at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 24 18:11:03 PDT 2004

Gordon Laco wrote:

>Thanks a lot David - I will try that.
>
>Gord
>

>>If you start the engine and disconnect the battery, the engine should continue
>>to run indefinely off of the Altnerator current charge current. If the engine
>>stops running after disconnecting the battery cable, then the alternator is
>>bad.
>>
>>There is the possibility that you have a weak coil or intermittent problem and
>>not be charging enough to store a charge in your battery bank. A meter is
>>required to test that.
>>
>>David
>>

>>Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted.
>>
>>-- Gordon Laco <mainstay at csolve.net> wrote:
>>Hi there -
>>
>>Can any of you colleagues offer me advice on how to find out if my
>>alternator is working properly?
>>
>>Gord #426 Surprise

I  do not have an A4  but I do know that  running an alternator without
the battery in the circut can blow the alternator. In the old days of
genarators you could do this. The only way is with a volt meter.
hook it up to the battery and take a reading which should be over 12
volts. Start the engine and take another reading. With the engine
running you should get 13.5 volts at least, up to 14.5 is ok  as it
depends on the state of the battery. Digital volt meters  that will do
the job are usually  between  $20-$30 at RAdio shack
Richard 609 Into The Blue