[Public-list] A4 blues...

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Oct 24 18:15:47 PDT 2004

Gord,

Measure the battery voltage while the engine is running.  A fully
charged battery, after resting 24 hours, should read approximately 12.7
volts.  The anemic automotive-type alternators with built-in regulators,
as found on the Atomic 4, put out about 13.6 to 13.8 volts.  This is
what you should see with the engine running.

To get higher voltage and better charging, you need to go with some kind
of "smart" regulator that varies the voltage output according to some
charging regimen.  Or you can use a manual voltage control and promise
to never lose track of the time.

Batteries lose their capacity over time, more quickly if they've been
abused in various ways.  It's possible to have a battery that charges
up, but just no longer holds a lot of juice.  This is usually detected
by a discharge test: charging the battery with a known good charger and
then seeing how long it can power a load.

I do NOT recommend disconnecting the batteries while the alternator is
running.  This is a very good recipe for blowing the rectifiers in the
alternator.

Oh, another way to test the alternator is to remove it and take it to an
automotive electrical shop.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.