[Public-list] "No V-berth", she says. What's the alternative?

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Oct 28 14:43:21 PDT 2004

Michael,

An insert filling the v-berth is a common project.  Our boat came with a
single-piece 1/2" plywood insert and a single foam cushion.  The cushion
isn't much of a problem.  We just shove it into a corner of the v-berth
when it's not being used.  The rigid plywood was more of an impediment,
and it did more damage when falling out as we heeled too far.

I ended up cutting it into two and can store it under the v-berth
cushions.  I also put some foam pipe insulation over the edge of the
v-berth where the wood sticks up between the original cushions and the
filler.  That helps to soften it.

The only problem left is that the cleats for the filler don't extend all
the way to the end of the insert.  When it was one piece, the cantilever
wasn't as noticeable, but now it tends to rock up as you climb in.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                                             'The Middle' by Ogden Nash