[Public-list] Buying an Alberg

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 30 21:41:25 PDT 2004

Jonathan,
Some items to consider.   The earlier boats (prior to 1970) have more teak trim on them which makes them prettier but more annual maintenance.  These boats have a wooden mast beam which may need to be repaired/reinforced, (this process is not a major deal and many Alberg 30 owners can detail how it is accomplished), check the cutlass bearing and rudder shoe for excessive wear, check the condition of the rudder attachment points, check deck and coach roof for soft spots, pre 1970 boats used Masonite as core material, which is less susceptible to damage due to water penetration. My boat, #133 has a Gray Marine 91-4 Sea Scout engine and from what I have heard it is a better power unit than the Atomic four, parts are available as Continental motors made most of the components. All the original boats had fabricated metal fuel tanks, either steel or aluminum and most have developed corrosion leaks, consider that you will most likely have to replace this tank if it has not been done by now.
 Gasoline leaks into the bilge area and the vapors make for an explosion or fire waiting to happen.  Again, it is not a big deal to replace the tank and make the situation safe again.

These are all mechanical systems that are normal maintenance items and are all relatively easy to address.  The basic boat is a stout, seaworthy design that has weathered the test of time better than many of it's contemporaries.

Someone mentioned the Alberg 35.  This boat was built by Pearson and I noticed that a couple were for sale in the Annapolis area.  Whitby/Pearson in 1965 probably had the same high quality construction standards.

Take your time and look at as many boats as you possibility can.  After looking at each boat you will have greater knowledge than before.  After a few boats you will notice the differences and be able to better select the one that fits your needs.

Properly maintained and cared for I don't see how an Alberg boat would ever let you down.  Sounds like you have already made up your mind and just need to decide which Alberg to purchase.  Welcome to the group.

Oh, did I mention how the boat sails?..........................as nice as she looks.
Michael

"Budington, Jonathan" <jon at globalprintinginc.com> wrote:

Hello,

I am close to purchasing a 1965 Alberg 30. I have raced on J-30's in the
Bay, and I always admired the lines of the Alberg. My wife and I have 5
kids - twins 18 months ago - and decided that life would be complete if we
owned a boat. The boat I'm looking at has been restored and is currently in
the Chicago area. I was hoping someone could answer some questions about
the boat in general.

1. How large a crew can the 30 hold comfortably? I doubt I will ever have
the entire family, but can it sail well with 7 people?

2. The boat I'm interested in has some cracks at the mast step. The owner
has an aluminum plate that repairs this - not yet installed. Is this a
common problem?

3. The boat has a Gray Marine Gas engine with 1100 hours on it. Most of the
boats I have seen use the Atomic 4. Is the Gray a decent engine?

4. I plan to fly to Chicago next week to inspect the boat. Any advice on
what to look for?

5. The boat may have a few things that need to be completed - rigging
possibly. Any advice on who works on Alberg 30's in the Annapolis area?

I am new to the Alberg, and plan to buy it and figure it out. I would
greatly appreciate any advice.

Thank you,

Jon Budington