[Public-list] Backstay replacement...Lee,

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sun Oct 31 21:39:54 PST 2004

In a message dated 10/31/2004 8:06:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sousa_stephen at emc.com writes:

Lee, you  bought yourself a great motor, if your yard did not install a  water
separator with the 3GM30 on your boat I would look into a  Racor
filter/separator. Yanmar generally installs a filter not a water  separator
before the injection pump unless they have changed Water is the  major cause
of diesel problems it ruins the pump and injectors.

We got our signals crossed somewhere; it's a Volvo MD2. The boat had some
ancient filter which I could not get replacement parts for when we got her, so I
 put in a new Racor as you describe. What I didn't put in was a low oil
pressure  alarm, and I should have. I would only be replacing an oil pump now,
instead of  the entire engine............... Oh well, live and learn. :(

Lee