[Public-list] 78 Amp alternator/Atomic 4

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Sep 2 13:20:34 PDT 2004

Note that the extra load occurs only when the current drain is high.  If
disconnected, the 78AMP alternator will add little, if any, additional
load over the 35AMP.

Note also that the charging rate has more to do with the design of the
regulator than the size of the alternator.  If you use a standard
automotive type regulator, like the stock A4 alternator uses, then
you'll get little benefit from the bigger alternator.  While the bigger
alternator can source more current, the battery will not draw more
(except briefly) if charged with the same float voltage.  You'll want a
smart regulator.

A 78AMP alternator should not be too much load for the engine, but you
might possibly need a larger belt size and pulleys to match.  I've heard
that somewhere over 100AMP, you need to go to dual belts, which becomes
significantly more complicated.

 - George