[Public-list] Gas Fuel Tank

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Wed Sep 8 06:51:32 PDT 2004

My tank is under the cockpit so the location is different. In any case,
I purchased a plastic tank made by Tempo from Defender. They had other
shapes - ones that would fit in the starboard cockpit locker. I like the
plastic choice because rust,etc. would not be a problem. The company
says they work just fine in salt water too. The cost was a lot less than
an aluminum tank. I did have one quoted and considered having a heart
attack on the spot. Chose plastic instead.

>>> newman423 at sympatico.ca 9/7/2004 2:54:36 PM >>>
I am thinking about a winter project to replace the steel fuel tank
(gas) which is mounted on a shelf in the starboard cockpit locker of
#233.  I put this tank in as a replacement about 6 years ago.  What I am
considering is having an aluminum tank made that would approximately
conform to the shape of the bottom of the locker.  The bottom of the
tank would be supported against the hull by strips of wood or rubber or
plastic and be mounted as low as possible.  It would be tied down by
straps attached to fittings glassed to the inside of the hull and to
fittings mounted on the inboard bulkhead of the locker. It should be of
some advantage to get this weight lower in the boat and should also
reduce any concerns about corrosion in the steel tank suddenly leaking
gas into the boat.

Has anyone seen an installation like this or have any comments on its
merits?

Bill Newman
Marion Rose III, #233