[Public-list] Cabin Sole Finish Options

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Wed Sep 8 10:51:07 PDT 2004

I can not advise  on your sole, but I can tell you that I used MinWax fast drying varnish with great results - some cleaning and sanding and 3 or 4 coats made a great difference. When I asked about this last spring Mike L. suggested this solution for the interior. He was right on target.

>>> rkingsland101 at ksba.com 9/7/2004 8:54:52 AM >>>
I am getting dangerously close to painting interior, deck and topsides of #148 and yesterday I sanded the cabin sloe.  Can I please have some advice on how to finish it? The sanding dust is pretty red which leads me to believe it is red mahogany (probably not cherry?).  Does anyone know what wood Whitby used for the sole in 1966?

Thinking it was teak, I have thought of oiling it but now wonder if I should try a varnish type finish.   Is "Cetol" the stuff that is like varnish but easier to apply (I think it comes in a semi gloss type finish which might be good to hide scratches).  Also, I got my hull paint from Signature Finish (thanks George for reccommending them) and they sell Honey Teak.  Has anyone tried this?  Lastly,  I was messing around with some epoxy and managed get a thin coat on 4" of one of the diagonal braces on the head side of the main bulkhead.  It looked pretty good.  I know epoxy doesn't hold up in sunlight but is it feasible to use as a finish below?

Roger Kingsland
Chief Boat Boy
PERFECT intentions, A30 #148
on the hard at N40° 33.945' W79° 51.260'

Author's Disclaimer; This email was produced exclusively by the sender and, in the interest of expediency, without the benefit of editing by others.  The sender, thank goodness, is a much better architect/sailor than speller/editor and, frankly, constantly laments an obvious flaw in "spell check," it does not know what the author is thinking.  Please accept the sender's sincere apologies for any "typos" that may appear in this document.  If present, they are certainly unintended and hopefully do not cloud the message, or spawn any unnecessary lawsuits.