[Public-list] RE: ELECTRIC DRIVE

Meinhold, Michael J MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Tue Sep 14 11:06:26 PDT 2004

Silence is also very good for certain large ships that don't want to be
heard.
Some other benefits of electric drive :

1) separation of power source from drive source. This could work for a large
sailing vessel to keep weight low and amidships. On big ships it allows
podded
propulsion without complex power trains.

2) Modularity of power sources. This only works in large ships where you
might want to sometimes have several power sources and mix and match them
between propulsion and auxilliary service

3) Tuning of the propeller to the driver, not the power source. Electric
motor technology is improving to the point that RPM and torque can almost be
chosen independently.

In any case, what I was originally addressing was not electric drive, but
the use of the propeller as a power source, and that as Gordon said, it is
not adequate.

Mike
Rinn Duin #272