[Public-list] RE: ELECTRIC DRIVE

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Thu Sep 16 14:08:07 PDT 2004

Mike,

Thanks for the feedback.  I found a Farymann 4.3 kW
(http://www.americasgenerators.com/documents/docs/1078866260.pdf)  that is a
little lighter (192 lbs) and smaller for $4k.  The model with a cover
produces only 57 decibels (about the volume of human conversation) so
perhaps well designed sound deadening would allow operation at least while
sailing and maybe while at anchor.  It probably doesn't matter though
because maximum load is while "under power," I think?

This generator is still 28" front to back and I see your point RE fit.
Perhaps orientating the 28" dimension fore/aft would help but it would
probably require moving the main cabin bulkhead aft (in line w/ the port
bulkhead) and raising the bunk height so the electric generator portion,
which is lower than the diesel, could fit under the bunk (make no small
plans).

(Sidebar; along with a host of other dumb ideas, I thought of eliminating
the forward bump in the galley counter and making a continuous
port/starboard counter that would be about 8' long with sink amidships,
stove to port and under counter fridge to starboard; this would allow one to
slide the starboard bunk aft.)

Since the width of the gen set is 14", my guess is the base of the unit
would have to mount about 8" to 10" above the cabin sole.  My Universal 18
diesel weighs 255 pounds and is mounted, on average, about 4" above the
sole.  Any thoughts on the effect the higher mounting height but weight
amidships rather than aft. The additional, off center weight could be
countered to port with a holding tank under the port V berth and a water
tank under the main cabin berth,

Not only is ignorance bliss, it makes life so much simpler; therefore, I
haven't thought about exhaust and inverters and fuel and cooling and
vibration.

Roger