[Public-list] Repowering Options

Gary Barker eyewander at prexar.com
Sun Sep 19 08:42:22 PDT 2004

I checked into a Beta diesel repower.  I liked the looks of the engine
and may eventually do the repower, but for my needs right now- coastal
cruising on the Maine coast, the A4 is simple, inexpensive solution.
With electronic ignition, freshwater cooling and electric fuel pump, it
is predictable.  My A4 had been rebuilt by Old Lyme Marina in
Connecticut.  I think you are right, Chris, a repowering is costly and
in many cases unnecessary for the amount of use an engine receives.  It
requires different through hulls and just a number of modifications
that are hidden costs.  It would double the cost of my Alberg 30  and I
can't believe that it would double the value.  A30's can be bought for
$10,000 - 24.000 whether there are diesels in them or not, sometimes
significantly less.  I don't see the value except if I were to go
offshore and to take on a world cruise.  Then diesels make sense to me.
Other voices will no doubt be heard.
Regards,
Gary Barker