[Public-list] Oxford Race

Melissa Currier mcurrier at spinrx.com
Mon Sep 20 08:03:19 PDT 2004

CB & I missed the start on Saturday.  I guess we miscalculated how long it
would take to get up to R2 from Hillsmere against the deluge current and
waves and wind, etc.  After two hours we had barely cleared Thomas Point
and we saw the fleet go by having started 15 minutes before.  We elected
to turn around and head for home.

It was certainly rockin' and rollin' out there.  As for Sunday, I went
back over to Oxford and raced back with Dave Sliom on Dancing Bear in PHRF
C.  I saw Lanny and Towney out there at the start.  It was a bit
confusing.  It appeared that the race committee went through a start
sequence (G Flag and all) for the Albergs before PHRF C...  No boats
started... the greenbook had the Albergs starting several sequences
later...  CB was on shore and saw what appeared to be the "real" start,
but wasn't sure if anyone actually started...  I saw Towney cut the corner
and head for home later down the course... did the fleet retire, or just
Skybird?  Any news???