[Public-list] Making the Rudder Watertight

Lincoln Finkenberg finkenbergl at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 14:14:33 PDT 2005

Does all that epoxy and fiberglass that I encased the rudder in act as a complete water seal? Or do I go get gel coat and put that on as well or some of that 3M stuff?  Oddly, in reading about the gel coat it said do not apply on epoxy (or maybe it was with).  Any insight to insure water sealed rudder is VERY helpful.  Mike - next time I'm going with Coosa (light and can get wet).

In securing the pintle to the rudder -  would you have the pin slip in above the gudgeon or below? Somebody just pick heads or tails for me - I just can't figure one way or the other.

It looked like the bolts that held the rudder shoe on (they came right out) were tapped/threaded into the fiberglass. Is that right?  My thought is to go one size larger with - 5/16" - and "permanently" secure them with some sort of epoxy filler combo after taping/threading the hole.

Hey Albergers - thanks a bunch for the help!! Linc
Gypsy 138