[Public-list] Bonding new glass to hull, topping lift control

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Tue Apr 5 19:09:22 PDT 2005

Hey,

Thanks for the advice on glass prep for bonding.

I'm not sure my post on the topping lift problem made it to the list.
Stargazer still has the ceramic insulators on the backstay, and her topping lift
would wrap around the backstay and get hung up on the insulator. I tied a piece
of shock cord to the topping lift with a rolling hitch, about 4 feet  above
the boom. I tied a small captive pin shackle to the other end, and made it
fast to the end of the boom when sailing. When at the mooring, I unshackeled the
shock cord, and put the shackle on the topping lift. The shock cord would
lift  the shackle up to the point where there was no more tension on the shock
cord,  so it would not stretch out over the course of the season. Worked pretty
good.  :)

This is the winter that Stargazer got her galley back, and I'm up to  the
water tank. I took your previous advice on putting an access hole in the v  berth
seat to get into the water tank. What a mess in there!! Someone had
previously put in some type of bladder, but it was thin plastic, and torn. There  was
some green sticky gunk in there, adhering what was left of the bladder to  the
inside of the tank. Old antifreeze? Lysol toilet bowl cleaner didn't touch
it. I finaly got it out with turpentine and a scotchbrite pad.
Geeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz............  :)

Thx again,
Lee
Stargazer #255