[Public-list] Electrolysis on Intake Thru-Hull

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Thu Apr 14 06:09:49 PDT 2005

Hi all,

Well Infinity came out of the water yesterday for spring cleaning.
During my cursory examination of the exterior I noticed 2 things:
1. The normal deterioriation of the zinc whas not as substantial as it
normally is.
2. The new thru-hull water intake strainer I put on last year was
pockmarked & looked quite rusty/pink & a little green.

I had purchsed this striner from Bacons for a good price and thought
nothing other than the fitting was bronze & should work fine in the
capacity I was installing it for.
I installed it and with caulk put a (Ball valve) shutoff valve on the end
which is made of I think bronze & ss (stainless Steel). But I felt like I
had isolated the intake striner fairley well.

Looks like my isolation workd but the Galvanic current went for equally
the Zinc and the strainer.

Finally my question:
I believe I should replace this (again) with a better quality / higher
metal  strainer. What should I be looking for? BTW: I do not wish to wire
this into  the motor thus sending what ever Galvanic current to the motor
& thus to the zinc.
--
C.B. Currier
Infinity #57