[Public-list] Fw: Shackles for New Mast Top

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Wed Apr 20 03:04:55 PDT 2005

Stephen,
  I've gotten personally involved in modifying the shackles to fit the new Mast Top for Christos and Alfredo (close, local friends), since I work with and have access to appropriate tools. Chris suggested that I post my modifications for others benefit.
  As all involved know, the suggested shackles don't fit between the outer plates on the new fitting. I modified the new shackles using a 4 1/2" mini-grinder, a cutting disk (very thin) and a grinding disk.
  First, I used the cutting disk to slice a thin sliver off one side of the shackle (about 1/8" between the disk's thickness and the sliver). This alone allows the shackle to fit between the plates.
  Next problem was fitting the pin. The slot in the shackle is not deep enough to fit the pin. Using the 1/4" thick grinding disk's edge, I started lengthening the slot. It didn't take too much to get the pin to fit, but the angle that the shackle was at was no where near correct for either of the stays. I started this with a 4 1/2" disk which was almost at it's maximum reach. I switched to a 6" X 1/4" grinding disk and continued on the slot. After several grind and check cycles, i found that by lengthening the slot all the way to the top of the Schafer Logo, the shackle fit and pivotted enough for either the forestay or backstay to have a straight lead. Of course, it has been a few years since I have been up close and personal with an Alberg 30 Mast top with tight shrouds, so I might have gone a little too far. Considering the importance of a fair lead (especially on the forestay), I think not.
  Disclaimer..... I am not a design engineer and accept no responsibility for any work or design changes done by "others". I am also notirying my freinds that I did the work for that I accept no responsibility for the changes made to the parts (shackles). If they or others use the parts I modified or the methods, measurements proposed above, it is at their own risk.
Regards,
Brian    ex#497