[Public-list] Toe rail

Roger L Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Tue Apr 5 13:28:35 PDT 2005

Sorry Bill, I'm just madly clicking away here and sometimes loose control.

What I meant to say is, when I removed my toe rails, they were definitely
petrified to the curve of the hull.  My problem was the difficulty in
getting them off.  Some of the bolts were impossible to remove and I ended
up cutting them off by grinding through the bolts by taking a grinder to the
side of the rail (if you do this, have a spray bottle of water handy to
prevent a teak fueled boat barbecue).  Since the sealant had given up
sealing, it was then easy to lift off the rail (one side in one piece).  Of
course, the toe rail might become too well "ventilated" to reuse.

I had the aluminum rivets Mike mentioned which I drilled out and replaced
with 3/16" stainless steel rivets.  I thought they would work better than
screws because they achieve a friction connection instead of a shear
connection.  I have a bunch left if you are thinking of going that route.  I
guess the fact that I managed to destroy 3 rivet guns is a testament to
their strength.  Were I to do it again, I would rent a hydraulic rivet gun.

I am still struggling with the detail for my new toe rail (is two years long
enough) but hope to elevate the wood above the deck so water doesn't puddle
behind the rail.

Roger Kingsland
Chief Boat Boy, Rubber/Scraper and Check Writer
Alberg 30 #148, PERFECT intentions
N40-33.92, W79-51.25

"You don't have to think outside of the box, but it doesn't hurt to peek
over the edge once in a while."
Leonardo Da Vinci (or somebody like that)