[Public-list] Removing toe rail and all teak

Peter Hay phay at netcom.ca
Wed Apr 6 05:37:40 PDT 2005

  Bill:
  I removed my toe rail and all the other wood trim as part of a complete
hull and deck paint this last winter (just finished).
  Removing the toe rail from #384 is not difficult.  The problem is removing
the teak plugs without damaging the hole edges.  I found that to be
virtually impossible.  In theory the plugs can be removed cleanly but I did
not find that.  The rail does straighten out somewhat after removal but
easily bends back to boat shape.  Before reinstalling I changed the
countersink from 3/8" to 1/2".  That cleaned up the damaged holes.  The old
screws were Thompson (slots) flatheads and I replaced them with Phillips
countersunk screws (crosshead).
  Before replacing the rail I also replaced and sealed each 3 1/2"
through-hull bolt (there are 52 under the toe rails) and sealed the head
with 3M 5200.  As a product of the painting each bolt head was already
covered with six coats of paint but I sealed them anyway.  I did not  put a
bead of sealant under the whole rail.  If you are doing it yourself (not
advised--it is a two man job) it could make for a monumental mess but would
strenghten the joint.  The screws are more than adequate for holding the
rail. By-the-way I re-installed the rail as follows.  I had man holding the
aft end of the rail outboard of the boat on a platform.  I then attached the
first screw.  He positioned the rail and I drove the second screw.  Then the
third screw and so on.  This creates a gradual bend and does not overstress
the wood.
  After the rail was on I took scrap teak and made new 1/2" plugs with a
plug cutter and drill.  The plugs were expoxied in and left protruding above
the rail.  When the epoxy was set I simply sanded them off flush with my
reciprocating sander.
  I used the same process for all of the other trim.  Finished with ten
coats of Epihanes Wood Gloss (recoatable without sanding within 72 hours).
I did 5 coats without sanding.  I then let it set up for a week before
sanding and then put another five coats on (one per day).  Great product and
recommended by Practical Sailor.
  Cetol is OK initially but has a tendency to darken.  They are very
different products.  If you have any questions let me know
  phay at allstream.net
  Peter Hay
  Rubicon #384
  Canada