[Public-list] Solar Vent

Roger L Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Wed Apr 13 13:29:43 PDT 2005

Bill, some thoughts on your ventilation question;

I would be inclined not to mix cabin and engine compartment air (by opening
the engine compartment slide).  With your "push/pull" idea fumes from the
engine won't go into the cabin as long as you have good air flow, but, the
solar vents don't have lots of power (CFM) and I understand they don't run
full time unless days are sunny and the rechargeable batteries are in good
shape.  If the air flow is interrupted then you basically have the engine
compartment open to the cabin which, over time, could cause the fabric
(curtains, seat cushions) to absorb the smell .

Air from your forward vent should go out the louvered hatch boards nicely,
particularly if you are on a mooring and always pointed into the wind.  My
boat had a clam shell vent (facing down) on the side of the cockpit seat
(forward end) that was ducted inside the seat locker and into the engine
compartment.  This set up could provide supply air to ventilate the engine.
You could then configure the lazarette solar vent as an exhaust fan.  This
would put the engine compartment under negative pressure which helps prevent
fumes from leaking to adjacent spaces.

Having good weather-stripping on the hatch would help and I suppose it would
be prudent to figure out how to plug up the holes through the bulkheads in
the event of heavy weather.

Roger Kingsland
Chief Boat Boy, Rubber/Scraper and Check Writer
Alberg 30 #148, PERFECT intentions
N40-33.92, W79-51.25

"You don't have to think outside of the box, but it doesn't hurt to peek
over the edge once in a while."
Leonardo Da Vinci (or somebody like that)

(412) 252-1500 x101 office
(412) 779-5101 cell