[Public-list] Ignition wiring...

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Apr 28 17:08:49 PDT 2005

Hey George,

What am I doing wrong? :) It seems I can only post a message in a direct
reply, like this. If I  try to post a new message, or change the title of  an
existing message and send, it won't make it to the list.
I removed the ss rubguard to try to get to the leaks from the outboard side
of the toerail.  Interesting what I found in there; some linseed oil based
bedding compound was underneath. I wouldn't be surprised if it was from  1967.
The guard had not been removed when the hull was awlgripped blue,  and that
was done a long time ago. Some of the caulk was still pliant,  but most had
powdered, or turned to rock.

I'm going to have to replace the toerail someday, so I don't want to put 3M
5200 in there now, only to have to remove it later. What do you guys recommend
 in this application, with the best balance of strength, and removability; 3M
 4200, Boatlife, etc.?
I'm sure there are those amongst you who are aware that the cutlass bearing
housing is not protected by the shaft/prop zinc, as the housing is isolated
from  the shaft by the rubber bearing. I saw a good solution; connect the
housing to a  small disc zinc mounted on the hull with a short copper strip. Put one
of the  housing bolts through one end of the strip, and anchor the forward
end of the  strip between the zinc, and the hull.

Hope this gets to the list,
Lee
Stargazer #255