[Public-list] Cockpit Locker Leaks and Spinnaker Pole

laserandy at aol.com laserandy at aol.com
Mon Aug 8 18:26:26 PDT 2005

My wife Ann and I just bought #152 and brought her back to Annapolis
over the weekend.  We have our first two (undoubtedly of many)
questions for the list.

Spinnaker Pole:

We need to replace the spinnaker pole on the boat.  I've checked around
on prices for the Forespar 2.5" kit and for the individual pieces but
was wondering if the 2.5 is sufficient or if we should be looking at
the 3" pole (which seems overkill to me).  Also, does anyone have a
good source for cheap pieces, or, better yet, does anyone (in the
Annapolis area) have a spare pole they would be willing to part with?

Cockpit Locker Leak;

I was at the boat tonight when a thunderstorm rolled in (for those of
you in the area, yes, that storm).  I was happily lounging down below
waiting for it to pass when I noticed a fairly noticeable stream of
water rolling down the port side of the companionway.  I think it is
draining out of the port cockpit locker (which is inadequately sealed
on the outside and in the process of being replaced) and down the side
of the fore/aft hull stringers that the engine mounts sit on.  It
appears through a small hole, just under and forward of the short hose
that comes out just behind the cockpit steps and drains into the bilge,
and empties onto the companionway floor and rolls forward until it
disappears back into the bilge up around the head compartment.  Is this
a well known problem?  Do I just need to tear out the hose and all the
sealant and re-bed it in the stringer or is there a more substantial
repair in my future?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Ann & Andrew Cole
Andante - 152