[Public-list] Engine alignment question

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Mon Aug 8 18:50:28 PDT 2005

Hi Glen,

Thx for the advice. Sounds like a very good idea, and much more simple and
accurate than anything else.
Hope your being able to give this advice means you are
sailing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)

Lee

In a message dated 7/29/2005 8:30:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
5thseason at canada.com writes:

>  Hello Lee,
>
> I just went through the same problem.  I have  just
returned from vacation so if you have not done this yet
here is  what I did.  I installed long helicoil springs
into the fibreglass  before installing the gland.
Before the gland was installed I installed  the engine
with the prop shaft attached and used this to centre
the  engine drive shaft into the centre of the exit
hole. After this and  replaceing the cutlass bearing I
slid on the gland and checked that the  holes aligned,
if everything O.K I tightened every thing down and
could  slide the shaft in and out of the engine flange
with no resistence.   For the stuffing box diameter
problem I purchased the proper hose for the  stuffing
box then sized some clear braided hose to the stern
tube and  using 4 clamps tightened every thing down.
Now I can slide the drive shaft  in and out without any
resistence.
Hope this helps
John  Boor
MAHSEER #380>
> >Hello Fellow Albergers,
> >
> >Ugh....End of July is no time to be installing an
> engine  in a  hot, Mass
> >boatyard, but circumstances beyond my  control have
put
> me here.  Oh well.
> >
>  >How do 'we' determine the actual shaft position for
> alignment  purposes,  with
> >that flexible stuffing box hose allowing the  shaft to
> slop around a half
> >inch to either side and  up and down? Has anyone
> developed a good technique, or
>  >even a neat trick to do this reasonably easily and
>  accurately?
> >
> >What is the size hose, and method of  choice for
> replacing the hose of the
> >flexible  stuffing box?
> >
> >Of the two bolts that secure the  cutlass bearing
> housing to the hull, the
> >lower bolt  is stripped on Stargazer. It was that way
> when we bought the boat. Of
> > course, I only found that out the first time I
> removed  the housing. I've
> >been  setting the bolt in 3M5200 when  reseating the
> housing, and that seems to
> >work,  but  if someone can recommend a good, doable
> method for restoring the
> >thread, I  would do it.
> >
> >Think of  me while you are sailing. :)
> >
> >Thx,