[Public-list] Pointing Up

Randy Weatherspoon rlwspoon at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 18 09:49:45 PDT 2005

I recently sailed  Marisel #385 from Miami to Panama City FL   Single
handed-all went well but could not point up closer than 50 degrees

I had redone the standing rigging a year ago and had not spent that much
time out before this trip and perhaps the winds on Biscayne Bay were
always going in the right direction---?

I had taken the forestay off to install an anchor platform / bow sprit
-- but had measured the stays and thought I had put them back as before
-
My chart plotter looks like an etch-a-sketch when I track my course -
some of the locals suggest putting a rake of about 6" in the mast - top
to bottom - not sure I have the stay length for that-
?maybe tension?
 I will be coming back in a few months and will still be hurricane
season and may need to come closer than 50 deg to get off the Gulf
Any ideas would be a great help
Thanks
Randy #385