[Public-list] Boot Stripe Height

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Aug 4 10:41:42 PDT 2005

Hi Stephen -

I raised my bootstripe at the stern about 1/2 the width higher (does that
make sense?)  What I mean is moved the lower edge up to the middle of where
it was in the factory-scribed level.   I left the line where it was forward.

I did this because our boats tend to squat compared to what Mr. Alberg
intended (I blame that in the heavier engine and that damn'd switch from
lead to iron in the ballast...)

Also, because our boats are so fine in the ends the weight of the crew in
the cockpit sinks the factory waterline, which I never like the look of.

My bootstripe's lower edge is now about 2" above the resting waterline.

And.... High freeboard is normally considered ugly!!  I have done everything
I can to make her look lower!  Have a peek at the shots George posted on the
US Association's A30 website in the 'Reefing the Mainsail' pontification I
sent in last season.

Cheers - Gord