[Public-list] Propane

David Fisher liquid_addiction at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 8 01:53:37 PDT 2005

Hi Pete.

I planned last year to build a locker for my tank, and while I never
actually get around to it, I did put a bit of thought into how I'd go about
it.

Firstly, two smaller tanks are far better than one larger: It is difficult
to gauge exactly how much gas is left, and with two tanks you can make sure
you always have a spare ready to go.  They're also easier to deal with and
can be built into a more pokey area.

Secondly, all the tanks I have seen have stamped on them a warning that
requires them to be kept upright.  I can't think of a reason why this is
important, but have decided to go along with it, given the potential LP gas
has to fundamentally spoil one's plans.  In this respect I think the most
important thing is to ensure the valve is completely safe no matter what the
boat is up to.

The tank has to be as accessible as possible, so that you aren't encouraged
to be lazy and not turn off the tap every time.

There can be no joins anywhere in the lines apart from at the stove (or
heater) and at the bottle.  The bottle end join has to drain overboard,
along with the bottle.  Seperate lines are therefore required for every
appliance.

The drain for the bottle must be at the very bottom of the tank's locker.
It's essential that every precaution be taken to ensure that no escaped gas
can settle, and as LP gas (propane) is heavier than air,this means drain
goes at the bottom.  Similarly, no anti syphon or dogleg should be in the
drain, so the locker has to be as high up as possible.

The locker must seal completely.  It must also be a seperate locker within
the existing lockers, if that makes sense...

I hope this helps.  I'll get around to doing the same on day.

David,
Kalitsah 440
Sydney